9.27.2008

Mr. Eureka

According to my planner October is going to be a busy month with lots of great events and various photoshoots. With September quickly coming to a close I have a list of things I would like to get accomplished before the great month of October takes over. One of them: give Mr. Eureka some care and attention. Mr. Eureka is our hard working vacuum cleaner. He sits in a closet ever ready to be put to task. He has been with us as long as we have been married. Let me tell you about the day he entered into our family:

Last November our old vac was tragically put to rest after I realized that I was creating a huge dust storm while vacuuming. In panic, I asked for Curt's opinion. At first glance he thought the dust flying around the room was simply from the light reflecting off of air particles normally present. But that was certainly not the case! Instead of sucking, it was blowing everything out. Let me tell you...I was not having any of this! Armed with recently acquired Target Gift Cards(we just got married), we created our own trail of dust when we flew to Target. We made our choice and went with a maroon Eureka. Equipped with some helpful tools and attachments I was excited about the selection even though it didn't look as cool as the top of the line Dysons. The Dysons are spectacular because they look spacey and futuristic. I could imagine this would be the vac of choice for the Jetsons. We brought Eureka home and he has been wonderful.

Mr. Eureka came with an owner's manual which I have studied very carefully. For maximum cleaning performance there are maintenance tasks we need to regularly perform. And that is what I did this morning! Mr. Eureka is now working at 100% efficiency. I love to vacuum. Sometimes I get a bit crazy with it as Curt said this morning, "you kind of frighten me when you vacuum." The story ends here, but if you would like a guided visual of Mr. Eureka you are welcome to look on.



I make it a routine to empty the collecting cup above. I love the fact that it is clear because you can see exactly what you are sucking when you vacuum. I know it's time to do maintenance when the activity inside the cup turns from a frenzied, tornadic motion to something more like a calm breeze. I'm always checking to see that there is a violent motion in the cup.


For the first time this morning I stuck my hand in the innards of the vac to empty out the filter above. It was nasty, but vital for maximum cleaning performance.


It's a good idea to check the bristles at the bottom to clear any blockages caused from hair and other debris.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I really enjoyed this post. I share your love of vacuuming and have asked for a new vacuum for Christmas. Yeah for vacuums!

Shanna said...

If you and heidi love vacumming so much I have a plan, come and vacume my house, I absolutely hate it.

Curt Wood said...

did you get a Eureka sponsorship I didn't know about?

Mindy said...

Great post! I love seeing the canister fill up-it makes vacuuming so rewarding!

Carolyn said...

I hate emptying the canister. . . all the carpet fibers get stuck to the holes and I end up scraping it out with paper.