6.22.2008

Bummer Dude!

So here is my marathon update: (I'm writing this at 2:55 am after waking up from all over throbbing and raging sore muscles! Seriously, who knew my forearms would be sore! I did manage to do some dishes though.)

I've been ready for quite some time to do this race. Almost too ready too early. The past weeks I knew something was off and so I tried my best to do "damage control". After a fun ride to Duluth and picking up my race packet we went to Nicole's parents' house for dinner. We were joined by Nate, Kallie, Nicole, and Nicole's super spunky sister.

I woke up automatically at 3 am, laid in bed until 4 am, then decided it was time to get up! I had bananas and oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. I did some stretching. Curt got up and he drove me to the bus pick-up. It was a tearful goodbye. I was nervous. The pressure I put on myself to do well was a bit much. I had wanted to do well for so many people.

The first 10 miles were not too bad, but I knew that it should have felt easier. At mile 11 I took a Gu and was able to get to mile 13. My split at mile 13 was about 14 minutes off from my new prague half marathon time and so I got bummed. My legs were starting to get sore! What!?!?! And I was mentally not hanging in there. Here begins the destruction. In my head i'm thinking I have 2 options, "When I see Curt on the course I'm going to tell him that I want to drop out. At this point a DNF is way better than the time I know I will end up with. I don't really care about the t-shirt and medal" Second option: "I've never DNFed a race before! I should finish! I guess I want the t-shirt and medal." The mental battle begins and the physical breakdown continues. I basically do a combo of running and walking. No sign of Curt as I totally want to drop out!!!

Breakthrough: I finally see Curt at Mile 18! What a relief. I tearfully tell him my issues. He very calmly bikes next to me (as I'm talking to myself and muttering who knows what!). I reach town and am blessed with trees, shade, and a surprisingly cool breeze. I get myself to mile 20. Then the sun comes out and I resume my walking/running combo. Curt is still biking next to me. It was so frustrating and so awful!!! I felt totally delirious. Finally, after what seems like an eternity I cross the finish in 4 hours and 46 minutes. I finished, but am still quite bummed!

Honestly, I don't think I would have been able to finish if I didn't see Curt when I did. I'm super grateful for all the wonderful volunteers at the aid stations. They were so nice. I'm thankful for the cold sponges at each station. I didn't have the time or breakthrough race that I wanted, but it was still nice to give it a go. I hope things line up a little bit better next time! Nicole and Kelcie were very hospitable making our stay nice and comfy. Even better...I think Nathan might have PRed and Kallie finished her 1st marathon. So that's huge!!!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Bummer you didn't meet your expectations, but I think finishing a marathon is a HUGE accomplishment no matter what!

kborn said...

Sometimes we just can't meet our goals. But you finished (I can't even imagine walking a marathon!), your husband was a huge support (as you were for him just a few weeks ago), and there are many races ahead of you.
Oh yah, and there's the little accomplishment of your photography!
How many guys did you still beat through the course? Think of that???
Regardless, I second what Mindy says. :-) Keep up the running and try not to get into your own head too much!

Carolyn said...

Everything is a learning experience I say. So it wasn't your best race, but now you know what to do differently next time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You've already completed many races, and done more than most people have!

Anonymous said...

Christine, don't diminish your accomplishment! I think the drive and determination that it takes to even take on a marathon makes you a big winner. Way to hang in there when the going was tough!
Jill