4.11.2008

I'm a big girl!

I absolutely hate going to the doctors. Today was no exception. But it was time for my annual physical...i've been dreading it all week. Everything about it kind of sucks. The robotic nurses, icky fluorescent lighting, the smell, the sterile environment, and the metal tools.

I survived the experience. I'm relieved. It was kind of a traumatic experience. The worst part was when it was time to get a sample of my blood. Gulp. I was prepared for them to prick my finger, but nooooooo. They needed to find a vein! Immediately i got weak in the knees and queasy, almost borderline hysterical. I had a quick flashback to when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Back then they had a hard time finding a vein and had to poke around forever. Then I had another flashback to when they needed a sample of blood for employment reasons. I was stuck at the clinic for an hour because they were trying to hydrate me with juice so that a vein would surface. So today my lab tech person was quick to figure out that I was one of THOSE patients. She told me that I should drink lots of water and that it would be best for me to lay on a table. Well, it worked. She found a vein after the 2nd poke...all while i was humming away to distract myself with a sweatshirt over my head. imagine that.

when I got home Curt gave me a hug and made me eggs because I had fasted for 14 hours for the appointment. traumatic experience over!

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh dear. What can I say, it must run in the family. I've gotten better over the years about the finger prick thing, I think there's more pain when they actually squeeze the blood out of your finger. At least you didn't pass out and almost run into a door frame. . .

Anonymous said...

It isn't just your family... I'm terrible too, but I've learned to announce the fact that I don't want to see it and just turn my head. Seems to work for me. I'm glad you're done for another year!!
Jill

Shanna said...

Sounds like you and Brent have the same issue with getting blood drawn.

kborn said...

Wow. I'm one of "those people" too. I pre-hydrate to avoid those experiences. Never have a baby if you hate needles! Stupid sugar water IV..that thing sucked. The epidural sucked too...until I realized how painful it was without it when it wore off...anyway...yet another reason to hold of on the babies! Glad everything went okay.
Trip to NYC planned anytime soon? As I commented on Curt's blog, we're headed out the 1-4th of May (I may be coming in earlier) and hope you'll have time to see us!

Anonymous said...

Oh Christine. Doctor's arn't that bad. But I use to be scared of them too. Stay strong.