10.07.2008

Our Morning Discussion: To Trick or To Treat

It's that time of year again where we are faced with a decision that could possibly bring joy to a kid or bring them disappointment. We live in an area that is full of school-aged children. There is an elementary school right across the street. But the traffic of trick-or-treaters is well...non-existent. This completely boggles my mind. Every year I buy candy and anxiously wait for the doorbell to ring so that I may drop the candy into the container,hear a "clunk", and wish the kiddos a "Happy Halloween", but I'm always left with a full bag of untouched, delicious candy. Here is what we discussed this morning:
1. Halloween is on a friday this year. Will we be around? If so, should we buy candy?
2. How could we increase traffic flow through our neighborhood? Is our home front not inviting enough? Should we decorate with pumpkins, gourds, goblins, and jack-o-lanterns?

If the kids come to our door, we would offer snickers, nerds, and hershey's milk chocolate. Off to Target!

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I vote for decorating if you'll be around. Who can resist a house lit up with neat Halloween lights?

Heidi said...

We never had any trick or treater when we lived in the cities either. Why? I never understood. I always ended up eating all the candy myself. Yum.

Unknown said...

Last year we were so excited for trick or treaters: I put a sign on our door (we are in an apartment and I KNOW there are kids here!), had a bunch of candy and even had scary music playing. No one came. Actually, we saw 2 kids leaving the apartment and we convinced them to stop by our place and they seemed so confused. Hahaa. I guess sometimes there's nothing you can do. But still, it's fun to get into it - so decorate and eat the candy! Evan and I are considering standing outside somewhere giving out candy...haha.

Unknown said...

that was carolyn leaving that last message... you can't really tell by what the computer shows, oops.
Carolyn

Shanna said...

We get about 6 trick or treaters, it sucks, I love handing out candy and seeing the kids costumes, instead we thought we could take Audrey trick or treating and get tons of candy, ha, that would be Brent's idea.