10.13.2008

Chicago Marathon 2008

When September rolled around I was indecisive about what to do for Chicago. I embarked on a "four week plan" which consisted of infrequent and short, 4-7 mile runs. I did ONE 13-mile run (a week before the marathon). Curt thought I was INSANE for wanting to do this. But I wanted to finish Chicago!
Here is what I remember: I knew it was going to be a good day no matter what happened. I was happy just to run in it. I saw Curt at mile 6 and it was great. It was hot, but I never really panicked. I used ice in between my head and hat. I poured water on myself. I ran in the shade. I walked when I needed to eat something or absorb liquids. At one point I really needed an advil, but the one I had in my shorts dissolved because I was soaking wet. Poor advil. All the medical tents were out of advil too. I was thankful for the volunteers at the aid stations. I was thankful for the random people who gave me pretzels, a jolly rancher, and ice. I was glad for all of the loud music along the course. It kept me going. The best cheer I heard? At mile 23 when a man yelled, "make it happen." My favorite is reading scripture verses on the backs of shirts or reading about a person who a runner is doing the race for. My time was 5 hours and 8 minutes. My slowest time yet, but I was elated and proud to finish my 7th marathon. Here is a look back at previous results. It was fun to look up my times:
Twin Cities Marathon: 2003 in 4:46, 2004 in 4:10, 2005 in 4:24, 2006 in 4:52
Grandmas Marathon: 2005 in 4:19, 2008 in 4:53
And our trip to Chicago was the best. We drove in on Saturday and had lunch at the Bongo Room in Wicker Park. After the marathon on Sunday we relaxed by going to a movie and eating pizza near Millenium Park. Our stay at the hotel was nice and cozy. The entire weekend I felt like we were on a long, extended date. Here is a slideshow of our adventures:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hey! Fun pics and congrats on the race! So impressive! I was wondering what program you use to make your blog slideshows? I love how you can put music with it. I was dabbling with picasa this morning and figured out how to do a slideshow, but it isn't nearly as cool as yours! : )

Carolyn said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time in Chi-town. I liked that silver egg shaped structure. Is it crazy to think that you've completed seven marathons??

Mindy said...

Looks like a great time! Congrats on your finish!

Shanna said...

congrats on your finish Christine, you should be proud of that!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have always made it a rule, don't put advil in your shorts!Good job Christine.

Anonymous said...

I like the one of Curt holding a coffee while Christine is amazed by the sculpture...

Was that the club quarters on W Adams Street? I think that's where I stayed last time... Love the efficient check-in process.